Monday, February 7, 2011

An Update on My "Stack"

My blog seems all about books and such recently...
Somehow, despite my best efforts ;O), my "stack" has grown. Tee hee hee. Oh well. So many good books to read and so little time!

But, I have revised my current plan of attack on what I'm reading... I want to be steadily making my way through one of each of the following:
a) Theology
b) Economics or "Feminine" Studies
c) History
 --->Side note: 2011 marks the 150 year anniversary since the start of the War Between the States. And in honor of this date (well, sort of), I've finally started John D. Dwyer's textbook: War Between the States. It will probably take me most of the year to read, especially at the one chapter-per-week rate that I'm planning.
d) Fiction
Subset:
1) Literature
2) Children's works
3) Other
e) Miscellaneous.... Book Club?

And who could forget the book club book? Has anyone started Screwtape yet? I did. It's really good. Good doesn't seem quite the right word though... Masterful?

Oh yeah, and while we're talking about books.... The Last Olympian is now out in the paperback edition. Yes! Perhaps I'm not a real bibliophile, because, of course, real bibliophiles love hardback books. Too bad. I guess I'm just a wannabe. Those lightweight books just fit better in my hands, and if handled well, they can be just as pristine as hardback. *grins*

8 comments:

  1. Yay! I noticed that WBS was on your shelf the other night. :o) i hope you love it as much as I do!

    LO is finally out in paperback, huh? It's been out for like forever! :oP I like hardbacks, but I like paperbacks better, too.

    And you're reading Whatever Happened to Penny Candy! It's a good one. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LO has been out forever? By my count, it's only been two weeks. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think she meant in any form... Like the hardcover came out forever ago.

    I try to limit my reading to 2 books at a time. (Though I currently get an F-O there.) I maintain a non-fiction and fiction going at all times, rotating through the type of each so I'm not uber-heavy on any one topic. Or at least that's the plan. And, when I stick to it, it actually works out quite well. :) I find when I have too many books going my mind isn't fully dedicated to any of it and I don't retain as well. Do you have that problem as you maintain such a large stack of current reading?

    I think that true bibliophiles might really prefer paperbacks. After all, for the same amount of money you can own so many more books. And if you truly love books, you take good care of them, right? So no benefit to hardcovers there. And paperbacks fit in purses more easily, and so you can constantly have a book at hand... I'm biased, I know, but I think the list of paperbacks' good qualities can go on for awhile. I don't think you're a wannabe. I think true bibliophiles love books in any form. (And the smart ones own paperbacks. :P)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got The Last Olympian in paperback too!
    I agree, not only do they fit better in my hand, but i can squeeze more books on the shelf. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jinkies. I shouldn't leave comments on your blog at such late hours! Do I always prattle so endlessly? How terribly boring.

    Anyway, I wanted to ask: is the "book club" reading another four chapters of Screwtape Letters this week? And will that pretty much be our schedule to the end of the book?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops! Sorry, Kelsie. Thanks for the clarification, Kiri!

    And you're a better woman than I am if you can read only two books at once! I think I would burst. I don't think I have problems retaining (at least any more than usual *winks*). I like variety; I find I get "bored" if I don't challenge my mind in a vast array of subjects...

    Well, I still think true bibliophiles love hardbacks. In an old fashioned library with some vest-wearing, pipe-smoking, elderly gentleman, do you see paperback books? I should think not. :P

    And you don't prattle! Two paragraphs is hardly prattling. :)

    @Amy, I'm all about squeezing more books on a shelf. If it doesn't mangle them. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well then, Laura, I must be a true bibliophile. I love hardbacks! Especially the ones where you can take the paper cover off and it's a solid colour with gold or silver lettering... ah. I don't mind paperbacks, though, and they are more practical. :) ~Emily

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you Emily! I salute you from my "wannabe bibliophile" chair. :O)

    ReplyDelete