Thursday, February 10, 2011

Chid and Chartreuse

It's been more than a month since I've blogged about my little friends... I've missed it.

"Chid." See it?
Confused about this post's title? Don't know what a "chid" is? Neither do we. Apparently, it's into what my sloppy handwriting morphs "did."  At least so Noah claims. :)
Copy work.
Copy work is great! It gives the kids an opportunity to work on grammar, punctuation, capitalization, and penmanship. Whoot! And all the while, we can have good discussions.

After we work on school work, it's time for lunch. And The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster. It's simply delightful. Though, my good friends, the Kincell girls, would probably call my reading "vocal abuse." Especially when I vocalize the doctor of sound: Kakofonous A. Dischord. :D And just what color is chartreuse? Do you know? It's color that the rocks became after Milo conducted the sunrise. Don't ask; you should read the book.
When we're not reading, we take pictures... and make silly faces.
Jude, Noah, Maggie, and Evangelia
Even mine comes out. With Clementine smiles.
Me and Jude

4 comments:

  1. They are so cute! And we've never said you were doing vocal abuse, it was the dude in the Mulan Youtube video... :oP Reading is no fun without funny voices. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was interested in seeing how you were going to tie together the verb chid (a form of chide, right?) and the color chartreuse... How delightful to hear about the kiddos again!

    I really must start reading "The Phantom Tollbooth"! It sounds like it will be so much fun! And as I will only be reading it to myself, my vocal chords will, thankfully, be spared.

    What exactly were you doing to your vocal chords, dear? If I'm going to take the blame for labeling your Kakofonous A. Dischord voice as abuse, I really must hear it at some point! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will definitely try to read for you both sometime. :P It's just a scratchy, throaty voice similar to the Mulan character. :D

    Kiri, you definitely should start the Phantom Toll Booth! The more I read it, the more I love it!

    Oh! And as far as I know, "chid" is not a word... I looked it up and nothing came up except: "did you mean - chide?" Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm... My favorite online dictionary had it as a variation of chide. Daddy's favorite didn't have it at all. A couple of other (less respected) online dictionaries had it as a word in it's own right. So I googled "Is chid a word?" and came up with a game website that said it is a valid word to use in word games (i.e. Scrabble and the like).

    I'm not sure I would use it as it seems to be iffy, but it is recognized as a word by some. (Probably originally by those who can't spell well and are misspelling chide! Don't you just love how the English language evolves?)

    ReplyDelete