Thursday, April 5, 2012

Booklist: February 2012


Whew! Almost no reading was accomplished in February. Bummer. But, the two books I did read were definitely worth reading. Gatto's perspective on the current public school system is insightful and refreshing. Unfortunately, Gatto's humanistic tendency does overshadow an otherwise worthy book. Stockett's The Help is extremely popular, and now I see why. While not without flaws, it is an absorbing story filled with colorful, complex characters. These two imperfect works - I confess I enjoyed.

February 2012
7. Dumbing Us Down: The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling by John Taylor Gatto
8. The Help by Kathryn Stockett 

Picture Credit: Google Image Search

2 comments:

  1. Is "The Help" all it's cracked up to be as a movie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's certainly not the book. That much is obvious? Okay...

    While the book provides a depth of character and plot that the movie cannot do justice to, it is an excellent movie. Full of sad and humorous moments, the story is compelling, and the acting is excellent. Don't make the mistake of thinking The Help is a comedy; it's not. It's a drama. All that being said, it is not a perfect film. But, I enjoyed it. I've seen it twice, and I'm sure I will see it again.

    Does that help?

    ReplyDelete