Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Nutcracker!

In my family, one of the greatest traditions of the Christmas season is music. From the Beach Boys to the Gatlin Brothers, from Celtic Thunder to Jim Reeves, from Bing Crosby to Clint Black, from the Charlie Brown Christmas to The Nativity Story, from... Well, you get the idea. :)
What a treat it was then to attend The Nutcracker ballet with the Knudsens! Thanks for inviting me, y'all!
The music definitely confirmed my Christmas mood. And the dancing was a treat. Watching the ballerinas, you had to be impressed with their strength and grace. Not to be outdone, the sets and costumes were also beautiful - with little Pittsburgh details. I hadn't seen The Nutcracker since I was a little girl; I appreciate it so much more now!
Looking through the program is entertaining, it reminds me of my last trip to see a group in Pittsburgh. Yet, the program couldn't distract from the performance. Either "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies" or the "Russian Dance" had to be my favorite. So Christmas-y! And fun! But, our fun didn't end with the ballet.
Mrs. K was shocked to learn that I had never been to the Strip District; she was determined that I should go. And now, having gone, *I* am absolutely shocked that I had never been before. Perusing Italian, Greek, and Mexican shops, we found cheeses, pepperoni, breads, olives, and much more. Yummy! We passed street vendors hawking their wares. "Get your cannoli here!"
There were fruits and vegetables. Fudges and coffees. All screaming, "Take me home. I taste really good." Mhmm. I'd love to go back soon. It was quite the trip!
In this cute, little cafe, I saw this Italian phrase. Loosely translated, it reads, "Make the law, find the loophole." Isn't it true? For what do we automatically look? Conclusion? The Strip District is a winner. Even more fun with friends.

1 comment: