Tuesday, April 12, 2011

"To be or not to be"

Yesterday, with friends, I finally discovered Shakespeare's Hamlet. While I studied (er, memorized?) some of it in highschool, Hamlet didn't stick with me. For whatever reason. Now that Hamlet has re-entered my life, I'm not sure why he left...
While I wouldn't recommend Mel Gibson's Hamlet without some qualifications, it has its merits. And Shakespeare's powerful portrayal of the poisonous nature of revenge is practically without equal in literature. Though Hamlet is a confusing character, philosophical and melancholy, his story makes for interesting discussions! And since I missed the end of the film, I rushed home to read Peter Leithart's take on Hamlet. Leithart's Hamlet chapter illuminated some confusing aspects of the play for me. I need to watch the movie again now. :D 


And since we're on a Shakespeare kick, let's watch King Lear next? Sound good?
Oh! And I had forgotten how many famous quotations come directly from Hamlet:

Neither a borrower nor a lender be:
For loan oft loses both itself and friend. ~Polonius

This above all — to thine own self be true;
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man. ~Polonius

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark. ~Marcellus

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. ~Hamlet

Doubt thou the stars are fire;
Doubt that the sun doth move;
Doubt truth to be a liar;
But never doubt I love. ~Hamlet

O! what a rogue and peasant slave am I! ~Hamlet

The play's the thing,
Wherein I'll catch the conscience of the king. ~Hamlet

To be, or not to be, — that is the question: (etc) ~Hamlet

The lady doth protest too much, methinks. ~Gertrude

Alas! poor Yorick. I knew him, Horatio ~Hamlet


Picture Credit: Google Image Search

6 comments:

  1. Hamlet is good, but in my opinion, it's overrated relative to Julius Caesar and MacBeth.

    Have you read Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead by Tom Stoppard? It's a postmodern comedy that makes light of all the conventions of Shakespearean theatre, particularly the unimportance of ancillary characters. It's pretty funny, if you ever get the chance to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Mel Gibson. :o) It was a pretty good movie, though tragedies tend to be... *pause for emphasis* tragic. :oP

    "Frailty, thy name is woman" is pretty famous, too, I think...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I love Shakespeare. (Can a Kincell admit that? Hmmm...) The more I see, the more I enjoy. Not that it's perfect. Nor even close. But still! So much to consider! Such delightful wording!

    I really, really enjoyed the end of Hamlet, despite the fact that everyone dies. (Of course, we all saw that coming!) Did you find it on YouTube? Or would you like to come over and finish it?

    And I vote YES! to King Lear. :) And Henry the IV... Mrs. B says it's a must. She's gonna loan it to me. Wanna watch it together?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Bobby, Julius Caesar is AWESOME. But, you are talking to the girl who studied Latin (Roman and Greek mythology/history)for nine years. :D And Macbeth is good too... I really liked Hamlet, but I think I agree with you. It's not as good as JC or MB.

    Nope, haven't read it. Sounds funny though, despite it's postmodernism. Celebrating the "expendable crewman"? Ha! (And apparently, there is a movie... B&N says so. :)

    @Kelsie, Me? Tragic? :P Ooo! Thanks for pointing out another famous quotation.

    @Kiri, (Do the Kincells not like Shakespeare? There did seem to be an anti-Shakespeare vibe last time, but I'm not good at picking up on these things...) Yes! I did find it on YouTube. I LOVED the end too. Though, according to P.L., they left out one of the most important characters of they play. Bummer. Did you know that Kate Winslet is in the Kenneth B. version of Hamlet? She plays Ophelia.

    Thanks, Mrs. B! (Which Mrs. B am I thanking? Mrs. B.B. or Mrs. C.B.? :P)

    Oh! The King Lear I want to see has Ian Holm in it. Whoot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, I love that you are my quoting buddy, La!

    I think it depends on which Kincell as to whether they like Shakespeare or not...

    Mrs. B.B. The one with the son who loves Shakespeare. Makes sense, right? :o)

    I vote yes to Ian Holm! Just watched most of the Fellowship, and it's still one of the best movies EVER! :o)

    Did you know they took Damo's "Sweet Sixteen" off youtube? So sad! I was trying to send it to Em (cuz today is her 16th) but it's not up anymore... :o( *tear*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would say I'm the only Kincell that really likes Shakespeare. Kes somewhat appreciates it; Kee tolerates it when I put it in. (Though I've not been able to convince either of them to watch Taming of the Shrew or As You Like It a 2nd time...) Mom and Dad *dislike* Shakespeare. I keeping thinking that someday, with continual exposure, they'll be cultured, too. Tee hee hee :P

    I did know that the KB version of Hamlet has Kate Winslet in it. She's a very different actress from Helena Bonham-Carter. It would be interesting to see her portrayal.

    I take it that means you are interested in seeing Henry the IV. :)

    Did you know that Branagh is in Valkyrie?!

    ReplyDelete