Monday, March 14, 2011

King Ranch Chicken

King Ranch Chicken w/Balsamic Hot Pepper Salad
We had Worldview Study again on Sunday. Studying God's world and how we should relate to it is so good! I am learning more everyday... but back to the topic at hand. Lunch before Worldview Study is a great time to try out new recipes. And Melanie, Bobby, and Luke are very kind guinea pigs. :O)

So try some new recipes, I did!

Bobby and Luke

So, the big test was the Balsamic Hot Pepper salad dressing... I was fairly sure that the King Ranch chicken would be really good... but the dressing was a big question mark.

Good!
And while Luke gave it a thumbs up...

Very Bad
Bobby wasn't too sure about it...

Haha! No, not really. They both enjoyed it. Yay! Melanie agreed that the chicken was good, but refrained from trying the spicy salad dressing. Hence, all in all, lunch was a success. And I have some new recipes!

Balsamic Hot Pepper Salad
Whisk together 1/3 cup white balsamic vinegar (I didn't use white...) and 1/4 cup pepper jelly. Toss with 1 sliced cucumber, 1 sliced small red onion, salad, and 1 yellow bell pepper.

King Ranch Chicken
 4 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 large onion, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
1 (10 3/4oz) can cream of chicken soup (I used cream of celery)
1 (10 3/4oz) can cream of mushroom soup
1 (10oz) can diced tomatoes and green chilies
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp. chili powder
12 (6in) tortillas
2 cups (8oz) shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I think I used mild...)

1. Stir together first 8 ingredients. Tear tortillas into 1-inch pieces; layer one-third of tortilla pieces in a lightly greased 6-qt. slow cooker. Top with one-third of chicken mixture and 2/3 cup of cheese. Repeat layers twice.
2. Cover and cook on LOW 3 1/2 hours or until bubbly and edges are golden brown. Uncover and cook on LOW 30 minutes.

I made 1 1/2 times the recipe for 7 people. Some of my measurement were caveman. :P

2 comments:

  1. Haha. Thanks for the faithful report that I was posing for the photo. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love "caveman" measurements. :) Tell your mummy that I'll get her that soup recipe soon. As soon as I figure out how to make it not "caveman"... :P

    I think Sunday cooking can be difficult because of the timing of meals and worship. Recipes like this are perfect for after-church hospitality! Do you have any crock-pot favorites? I'm a terrible crock-pot cook, but that seems to be the best thing for Sunday pot-luck dinners at church. And we have *a lot* of pot-luck dinners... I'm running out of ideas!

    ReplyDelete