Monday, August 6, 2012

Booklist: May 2012

As I age, I observe that time seems to rouse itself and charge faster and faster taking the rest of us with it. Now, of course, I understand that time is moving at the same constant rate, and God is presiding over it in His sovereignty. But, isn't it a delightful mystery how time seems to accelerate as we get older? Anyhow, I haven't made a lot of time for blogging, but I am updating today. And maybe, just maybe, more days in the future... Maybe.

May 2012
Insurgent by Veronica Roth
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
V for Vendetta by Alan Moore & David Lloyd
Is Christianity Good for the World? by Christopher Hitchens & Doug Wilson

Insurgent continues Veronica Roth's good beginning in Divergent; Roth's dystopia is a captivating insight into society. However, Insurgent did include more sensuality - a disappointing turn of events. Perhaps the third novel will have all the pluses of the previous installments and none of the minuses? Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None is a shocking insight into human nature. Prepare to be surprised; I was. The last two on my reading list were beach reads. Unfortunately, I am unable to recommend V for Vendetta.  Reading it for its social and political philosophy, it was interesting (and wrong in its conclusions), but the inappropriate content is so pervasive that in good conscience I cannot suggest it. Is Christianity Good for the World? Hitchens and Wilson disagree on the answer. Their lively debate is a delightful romp, and Wilson does a commendable job in his apologetic. This little volume is definitely one I recommend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment