Thursday, September 15, 2011

Booklist 2011: August

In August, I conquered books that I've needed to read for months/years. :O) First on my list, I read Leslie Ludy's book, Answering the Guy Questions, a book recommended (and lent) to me by a friend. Ludy's work is fairly typical of the Passion and Purity/courtship genre. However, her comments on purity are exceptional! That alone makes her book worthwhile.

Finally finished from June, Neil Postman's Amusing Ourselves to Death is insightful treatise on a culture of typography transformed into a culture of images and the resulting state of incoherency, irrelevancy, and impotency. (Quotations to follow soon!) Don't read his book unless you are prepared to mourn the current state of our culture. On the bright side, he will convince you to read more.

Given to me over a year ago - Inkheart. You can read the review for yourself. While I may not agree with everything in the review, The Story Girl Blog does and excellent job of revealing the faulty worldview of Inkheart. Link below.

Roald Dahl is quickly becoming one of my favorite children's authors. He is hilarious and fun. I bought Charlie and the Chocolate Factory years ago on a bargain rack at Books-A-Million. I can't believe it took me this long to read it! For what was I waiting? CCF is a delightful children's story (It seems wrong to be saying this after reading Postman's work, but CCF reminds me why I love the new movie adaptation so much!) full of discipline for sin, familial love, and happy endings. :)
August 2011
Answering the Guy Questions by Leslie Ludy
Amusing Ourselves to Death by Neil Postman
Inkheart by Cornelia Funke
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl

No comments:

Post a Comment