Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Authors and Such to Avoid

Twilight (Twilight, #1)Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

Twilight was required reading for the Adolescent Fiction English class of my senior year at college. To my chagrin, I read it. I can confidently state that it is a poorly-written, trashy romance. Presenting a selfish heroine and hero, Stephanie Meyer has left the reader with no one to admire. Idolatry and immorality run rampant throughout her fictional world. Is this something we want our teens to read? This reviewer thinks not. Not recommended.

Perusing Goodreads today, I stumbled across Twilight. I couldn't resist posting the above review, even if it meant admitting that I had read it. And this got me thinking about my experience with young adult literature. So much of the genre is absolute rubbish. Why would you expose your teen to it? Since I read some portion of this genre, I'm sharing a list of authors and books that are junk. And you can benefit from my unfortunate experiences.

This is just a list. I'm not planning on posting the content in order to preserve the innocence of some of my younger readers.

The Bad, the Worse, and the Downright Abhorrent

  • The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie
  • The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier
  • Tears of a Tiger by Sharon Draper
  • Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • American Shaolin by Matthew Polly
  • Weetzie-Bat by Francesca Lia Block
By way of further information, the content of Weetzie-Bat is so abominable that I did not finish the book.

1 comment: