Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Booklist: October 2011

The amount of reading I accomplished in October was abysmal. Bummer. My family was extremely busy during the month of October. And my reading suffered. (Not to mention Stargate has me distracted... I should blog about that sometime...) Consequently, while I read (er, started) many books, I only finished one. GASP! It was an important read, however.

I first heard about Timothy Keller in the spring... and I've continued to hear more about him since. After reading his work on the the parable of the Prodigal Son and discussing it with my elders and friends, I do not agree with Keller's approach. To be fair, he does recognize a potential problem within the church. (We must remember that the church is not for "good, moralistic" people, but rather the church is for redeemed sinners - not people who trust in their own self righteousness.) However, overall his ideas are not helpful... Christianity *is* a religion, and the God who redeemed us expects us to live a life of piety out of obedience - which will appear bigoted to the world around us. Despite my disagreement with Keller's theology, I am glad that I read his book. It gave me a glimpse into popular theology and a debate that is going on in the church today.

October 2011
The Prodigal God by Timothy Keller

1 comment:

  1. Laura, this was interesting to read. I read just a bit of The Prodigal God, but I've read more of his book Counterfeit Gods. In that one, Tim Keller stretched the Biblical stories outrageously to fit his points. I believe he is truly "off" in many of his beliefs.

    ReplyDelete